}
.post {
margin:.5em 0 1.5em;
border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc;
padding-bottom:1.5em;
}
Thursday, August 20, 2009
When I first had the ideas of the shop in mind, one thing I wanted the shop to do was to just be good. That's harder than it seems. I can see how hard that is for small businesses---first we must compete against behemoths with better purchasing power and more money than us, while at the same time holding onto our ideals and contributing what we have to those less fortunate than us.
I was introduced to
Baraka Community, which is a charity that chooses to make a direct impact, by supporting one village at a time---it's not a general charity where you write a cheque, and know it does some good but you're not quite sure what that good is--where it's hard to see the impact.
We decided this would be one of our charities to back this year, along with the Core Trust and others. So next week, we wish to celebrate the popularity of our cupcakes (as we most recently made TimeOut's list of best cupcakes this week) and use them as a force for good.
For every box of 6 assorted cupcakes you buy next week, someone in a small village will receive a mosquito net, to echo Baraka Community Ethos of making a direct difference. It's straightforward, simple, and will save lives. Just stop by the shop, pick up a box, and you've just bought a net. How easy is that?
--b